Friday, July 29, 2011

Crossroads and roundabouts

Have you ever reached a point in your life where you have to make a choice. Choose a direction, aim yourself to a goal, and commit to it? Sucks doesn't it!
It seems so easy to look on at people and decide for them, and drop the "well if that was me" line, but actually being there, that's so very different. Mindbending, confusing, frustrating and actually quite upsetting.

Whatever you decide in life it will never suit everyone. Someone is always left out in the cold, or gets the short end of the stick. Every direction offers hope and also threatens disappointment and rainy days. I think we all know there is no such thing as perfection. So its a matter of holding your breath, hoping for the best and committing to it.

Ok, so say for example after lots of contemplation you have decided what to do. Do you weather check, mirror signal manoeuvre, and proceed with caution, or just hammer the gas and go for it, without a care in the world? Some things in life should just be rushed at, raced into, where others require a little more tact and delicate handling, for the sakes of all parties involved.

A wise man once said "Every action has and equal and opposite reaction", something like that anyway. Ok while not quite relating to the same thing, that is actually how these things work. The pursuit of happiness leaves behind a trail of misery. Some may be able to keep moving and leave that all in their wake, me however, I am mindful of what the results are. I am no true believer in karma, but experience in life suggests you always get a losing streak after being an arsehole.

So ahead of me is a junction in life, straight ahead, continue with life as it is. A left turn is a new direction for me, continuing with some familiar things in life, and a right is away from it all, fresh start, break free, and take the easy way out. But wait... That's not a crossroads at all, its a roundabout with 4 exits. Same options, but the time to drive round and round in circles until I can work out what the hell to do.

No wonder I'm left dizzy as hell, and unable to tell which way I'm facing, let alone which way I should go next. Problem is, the only solution now I am on the roundabout is to choose an exit, commit and pull off... Then and only then can I pull over and catch my bearings. Sounds so simple, but the wrong choice can leave everything in turmoil.

Truth is, I know which exit I want, but I am so dizzy now, I can't think straight about what signals to give before taking the exit. I know that there will be a wake left behind that will need dealing with, but I guess I have to accept that.

I think what it comes down to is...
You can please some of the people all of the time, and please all of the people some of the time... But you can never please all of the people, all of the time.
In short, look after number 1, accept there will be casualties in life, so man up, and move on!

Hope some of this makes sense to some of you. I know 3 people at least that will appreciate this particular ramble.

Thanks for reading and take care.
Sent using BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment