Monday, February 26, 2018

Cycotherapy!

Bit of a weird name I know, not as catchy as I thought, but I have your attention, so lets go.

Mental health and cycling, two things that are part of my life, no escaping it. Recently, in the last year or so, as the taboo subject of mental health has become more approachable, the therapeutic effects of cycling have started to be recognised and discussed in the mainstream.

Last year an event was held in East London which I really wanted to attend, but sadly I was not able to. Since then, I have worked with my GP on a couple of things, and discussed with a group my experiences with mental health. But I want to do more!
I have been ravaging my brain for months now, how can I engage with others, what can I do to help, what common grounds do I have.

So my current thinking is along the lines of encouraging people to join in for coffee and a cake, and maybe a little bike ride. Nothing stressful or requiring over exertion of the body or mind. But an opportunity to find common ground, meet new people without the pressure to interact too much, and do something positive and healthy at the same time.

Just a thought, and a very small one at the moment, but with the right ideas, location and support, I think it could help, even just a few people.

No comments:

Post a Comment