Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Winter has come, and gone, and returned...

The weather really can't make its mind up at the moment can it. But for those times I am on the bikes, I am thankful for every extra day of warmth and dry weather we get. I was reminded only at the weekend that the weather can be quite mean at times! A sportive in Cirencester in nasty rain, and rather cooler temperatures than we have had recently.

Image may contain: shoes


As the darker evenings draw in, the commute changes drastically, the clothing and bike set up also change, as does the speed and urgency of the ride.
I have already noticed that my desire to get home quickly (ish) has been replaced by the want to get home in one piece. Watching others around me acting like nothing has changed. Not using lights or any extra caution on their rides.

It is this time of year that I spend most of my time, be it on the bike on in the car, cringing at the lack of attention which some road users demonstrate. We all make mistakes, there is no doubt about that, but some seem not to care about their own actions and responsibilities, and worry only about those of others. Who should have been watching out for them etc.

I learned a lesson at the weekend, and that was regarding tyre choice. My long time misconceptions of what tyres are best for each season were laid to rest. 65 miles through huge puddles, down long wet downhill sections at speed (brakes are another story all together), and through muddy tracks along the country lanes, I was hugely impressed by the grip from the Continental Gatorskins I had on the bike. I have always worried about the lack of tread (too much time spent in a car I guess), however now, I am enlightened.

The weather was also a great test for the various lights and tech attached to the bike, with only one light falling foul to the water ingress. That was a freebie anyway, so no heartbreak there. The new Knog + lights I bought recently had a great test for not only their water proofing, but their mounts too. I am pleased to report that the magnetic mounts held out perfectly on the very rough surfaces of the ride.

All I need now are my new riding shoes/ boots from Tredz, which are due "any time now" and a decent pair of water repellent cycling tights. Legs are indeed waterproof, but on the longer rides, a little comfort would be lovely. Maybe bib shorts were not the best choice of clothing for a long ride in the wet.

Here's to everyone having a safe and comfortable winter on their bikes. Stay safe people, and take your own safety seriously, don't rely on others to take care of it for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment