Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Cycling in London

As I have said before, there is this huge incentive to get people on their bikes, and out of their cars. Having made the transition myself over a year ago, I have to say I am SO much happier for doing so. That said, I would be even happier if my employers offered a Ride to Work scheme. Large as they are, unfortunately they don't participate. Oh well, it's not like I NEED a new bike is it? Or do I? (N+1)

Sadly, as positive as I feel about it, there are many negatives involved in cycling to work in London too. Arrogant drivers, arsehole cyclists (quite a few), and pedestrians... Bloody pedestrians! Only this morning I had an attentive young lady walk slowly out in front of the bike, turn to face me, and happily continue walking into my path, as I swerved to avoid hitting her.

Then I get to work, and see that the City of London have published guidelines, with this fantastic statement within.
Our message is simple – in the City, please ride at a speed where you can easily stop if a person walking happens to step out,” says a statement from the Corporation.

I am left wondering if there is an opposite statement suggesting pedestrians walk at a sensible pace, and make checks before walking into the road.... Nope, didn't think so.

Article is here.
https://www.bikebiz.com/news/cyclistsslowdown

Now before you sneer and say "bloody cyclists", I get it. There are some proper arseholes out there on pushbikes. Red light jumping, queue shoving, impatient arseholes. I ride with them every day. ON their 5 mile commute, acting like they are on a stage from the TDF, or in a sprint race. I happily amble along, and watch the muppets bumping into each other, race each other from light to light, or just simply act like they are the only ones on the road. It is those people who ruin it for everyone else.

Every road using group has them, the self important twats, who feel their journey is far more important than everyone elses, cars pushing in after driving along the outside of a queue, pedestrians shoving to the front of a crossing, if indeed they bother to use one at all, the list goes on.

As I have said before, somehow, we all need to try and get along the best we can, on a small , cramped, shared space, also known as the public highway. And to be honest, given the volumes of all groups using the roads, things go pretty bloody well.

However, from time to time people in positions of authority get involved, and it all gets a bit messy. Sometimes through ignorance, and other times they are simply being stupid about things, trying to say the right thing at the right time.

Cycle lanes, planned by anyone from a genius, to someone who thinks they know how cyclists behave, but has never ridden a bike in their life. Some are brilliant, make sense, flow with the road, and allow cyclists to take a variety of routes while remaining in the relative safety of the bike lane. Others are based on a single popular route, and should you find yourself trying to use it, but not wanting to go where it suddenly leads to, you are stuffed. If you don't know a cycle lane, don't use it, that's my rule of thumb.

When it comes to the above article, it is a case of setting guidelines to appease the masses, rather than trying to get the message through to them. Pedestrians have been walking into roads without checking since the time of horse and cart. Old black and white film actually shows a disturbing level of chaos on the roads from many decades ago. Sometimes when I see such things, I get the impression things have actually improved!!

Cars should slow down, IN CASE a pedestrian walks in front of one.... Bikes should now ride at a slower pace than cars are permitted to do so, IN CASE a pedestrian walks out in front of one. Yet with all this in place, there is still no law to cover what the USA consider jaywalking. Why not !!
In general, if a person is struck by a vehicle of any sort on the road, the immediate blame will fall on the operator of the vehicle. Dash cams, and handlebar cams now show a very different story, yet the onus still falls on them to be the ones taking more care.  I don't get it!

CycleGaz is one of the people I follow on Twitter and YouTube, and in almost every video he posts, where there is a conflict with road users, it is more often than not, the other persons fault. Or should I say, the other party could have acted more responsibly and considerately.  Carelessness or arrogance, either way it could end in injury.
https://twitter.com/cyclegaz

I too now like to video my journeys, and I have to say, the most common occurrence is pedestrians walking out. If anything, I give some motorists a little leeway , given the number of angles risk approaches them from on certain roads. Some more obvious than others.
Pedestrians on the other hand, in all cases I have caught on camera, the cause is simple. They just can't be bothered to wait, so out they go. After all, it's only a bloke on a bike. Well, its 240lbs of bloke on a bike travelling at 15-20mph... It's gonna hurt (both of us) if we collide.

So to see an authority make such stupid statements, is really annoying. Target the easiest bunch, rather than the actual issue. Seems to be the done thing these days. Then when someone else throws themselves in front of a bike, they can say, "we warned them!!".

Again, I want to be clear, any cyclist riding in a dangerous or inconsiderate manner, jumping red lights, carving in an out of others etc, gets no respect or defence from me. Let the courts deal with them in a matter they see fit. There is no reason for being a dick on the roads, none at all.

I enjoy cycling, and hope to continue to be able to do so, in all weathers, at all times of year, for a long time to come. And as the years go by, I really hope that I see an improvement on the conditions out there, as well as seeing a change in each groups behaviour, taking responsibility for their actions. Unlikely I know, but I can dream right!

Cyclists, make yourself seen, and ride in an appropriate manner for the conditions of the road you are using.
Motorists, mirrors please guys and girls, and an occasional look to the side.
Pedestrians, look where you are going, and drop the "it's just a bike" attitude. They hurt, honest!

I will say, I really hope the future of road planning, and cycle lanes, involves a group of people who cycle on those exact roads daily. Some of the solutions out there so far are hilarious, and must have cost a fortune. For example, I love seeing a road with a cycle lane, then narrowing points for pedestrians or traffic calming, causing pinch points for cyclists / motorists. Space them out, then squeeze them together, smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment